サンフランシスコでの日々の中で見つけたお気に入りのものの記録。 Blog about life in San Francisco

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Siesta/Rinko Kawauchi's dreamy landscape





A couple years ago, I discovered the photography book called "Utatane"(Japanese word
which means siesta,or afternoon nap)by Rinko Kawauchi.
I was immediately fascinated by her style and since then she's been one of my most favorite photographers. Her pictures are so fresh and different from any other stuff I've known. Minimal and subdued color (which became her trademark)is very dreamy and beautiful, and almost took me to the half awake and half sleeping state of mind you get from taking nap and forced to wake up abruptly. The objects you see in her pictures are things you see in everyday life, and the stuff you don't even bother to see twice otherwise. A glass full of water, washing machine, the sink with dripping water, ant climbing up on someone's arm, crawling baby and dead pigeon on the street. Somehow these mundane things become the metaphor for the cycle of life and death in her pictures. Humans and animals and nature all get equal position in her works.

In the interview, she says "I prefer listening to the small voices in our world, those which whisper. I have a feeling I am always being saved by these whispers, my eyes naturally focus on small things." I wish I can hear that small voices when I take pictures.
You can see more of her pictures here

2 comments:

kt said...

daisuki desu...I just read a review of her work here.

K said...

beautiful! really capturing the moment in our life..