サンフランシスコでの日々の中で見つけたお気に入りのものの記録。 Blog about life in San Francisco

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Getting lost is fun (sometimes)



When I was kid, I always had trouble with going out with parents or school classmates. Something caught my attention, and I walked away and followed whatever it was, (mostly toystore or small animal or pretty flowers) and suddenly I found myself alone, strayed from my parents. Sometimes I was having such fun, I didn't even notice I lost my parents until they came to pick me up, really pissed off.
Reading the graphic novel "Walking man" by Jiro Taniguchireminds me of such time I had.
The book follows the japanese businessman's(who remains nameless) daily life who has just moved to the new town with his wife. There's not much story nor many words here. He takes a walk, often nowhere in particular, mostly alone. On the way,
he finds a lot of stray cats, (there's a lot of stray cats in japanese small town) learns about new species of birds from the birdwatcher, plays in the puddle after a storm, get struck by rain,observes the change of seasons. The artwork is very detailed and realistic and it made me feel like I'm there with him, enjoying small piece of nature you'll discover in the city. One of my favorite
episode is "Night Swim" where he spots the public swimming pool and he sneaks into there at night, dives in to the pool under starry sky. Really, who doesn't want to do the same thing??
Most people, including me, thinks "travel"means going somewhere far away, somewhere exotic. This book says it's not necessary so. The protagonist always discovers and observes something new, on the way he takes his dog for a walk, on the way to go to work...It's like he take a small trip everyday.
Inspired by this book, I am planning to take small trip in the city soon.

1 comment:

kt said...

doko ikitai desu ka?