サンフランシスコでの日々の中で見つけたお気に入りのものの記録。 Blog about life in San Francisco

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dejavu from childhood




"Spirit of the beehive" has been very special movie for me for years. I watched on dvd a couple of times, but last year I had a chance to see it on the big screen at the Balboa theatre and it was an amazing experience.
The story is about little girl Ana, who lives with her family in Castillian village in 1940's Spain under the Franco's dictatorship,which is very, very different from the peaceful surburban town in Japan where I grew up. But somehow this movie make me feel like riding the timemachine and experiencing my childhood again. Maybe because I fell in love with the vampire when I first watched the vampire movie on the midnight tv by accident (which I don't remember the title) like little Ana fell in love with Frankenstein. Ana finds the big footstep nearby the abandoned barn and believes Frankenstein lives there. This scene reminds me of the scary old abandoned house I always wanted to go in but I didn't because my friends convinced me it's haunted. The scene where children jumping over a bonfire, Anna's sister playing dead, Ana and her sister standing by the railroad..all images evoke the memory of the the hide and seek game I played with my brother or sneaking into my mom's room and secretly playing with her cosmetics . Maybe childhood memory is universal thing. A lot of people read the political message from this movie, but for me it is the magical film where I can get in touch with fantasy world only children can experience.

No comments: