サンフランシスコでの日々の中で見つけたお気に入りのものの記録。 Blog about life in San Francisco

Friday, February 8, 2008

Moomin inspires very late new year resolution






I'm one of the japanese kids who grew up watchingMoomin tv animation series,based on the children books by finnish writer Tove Jansson. Even thogh I loved the series as a kid, there were some things I didn't quite understand . Especially the character Snufkin, who 's a vagabond musician who loves solitude and always on a journey (He is so popular in Japan, and the word Snufkin almost became the japanese word referring to the bohemian lifestyle.) It seems like many moomin characters are not from conventional family system.

Recently my yoga teacher gave me the original moomin book and I'm amazed that this book has so many wonderful quotes and insight about things you encounter in your life.

For instance, the episode in which Moomin papa longs for new adventure and leave his family behind to join the new journey only to discover that freedom he wanted has been already in his hand (He's probably having midlife crisis) or another episode of Mr.Hemlen whose only concern is saving up retirement account and having a quiet life, but in the end he learns to accept others getting into his life and opens up the amusement park for children. Or, Snufkin's commnet on freedom ("One can never be entirely free, if one admires someone else too much." )and Little My's talk about independence.("You'll never have a face of your own until you've learned to fight. B")

My most favorite episode is "The fillyjonk who believed in disasters".

Flillyjonk is a timid creature who lives in the house full of knicknacks she inherited from her grandmother. She doesn't love these stuff nor house, but she keeps them from sense of obligation. She's always afraid that someday big disaster will destroy all her possession. And she was right, the big tornado came and swept away all her stuff-including the house. For others, this is a tragedy. But for her, this was a revelation.

"And she thought ecstatically: "How very, very wonderful! What can I do, a poor little Fillyjonk, against the great powers of nature? What is there to mend and repair now? Nothing! All is washed clean and swept away!"

The Fillyjonk drew a deep breath. "Now I'll never be afraid again," she said to herself. "Now I'm free. Now I can do anything."

Throughout the series, Tove Jonsson is repeating the same message- possession
doesn't make people happy. She was very angry about japanese adaptation of Moomin, saying "My moomin is No car, No fight, No money". (in the japanese anime version, moomin owned the car)

I was inspired by moomin characters. My new year resolution is not getting anymore craps and stay simple and picking up only the stuff I can't live without(Meanin staying away from H&M sale, which is hard for me).

By the way, if you can read japanese, maybe you're intersted in "Which moomin are you?"test you can do here

No comments: